[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Hanson Hydraulics - Hydraulic Forum • View topic - manual hydraulic system for aircraft

manual hydraulic system for aircraft

Post all of your questions and comments about designing new systems or applications, or troubleshooting existing applications.

Moderator: Doug Hanson

Forum rules
No Flaming! Please maintain professionalism
No Log splitter questions !!!

manual hydraulic system for aircraft

Postby telecom » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:09 am

Hi,
I want to be able to turn hydraulic motor CW or CCW to drive ailerons of a small airplane by the means of hydraulic cylinders.
How do i make a small oil tank to compensate for oil expansion/contraction?
Do you know any similar application?
I looked at the boat helm steering but it is too expensive and optimized for boats.
I would like to use standard hydraulic components.
Alex
telecom

Re: manual hydraulic system for aircraft

Postby Doug Hanson » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:37 pm

Your on the right track with helm controls. The only thing I can suggest is that you look at a schematic of a helm control and and then locate off the shelf components that will accomplish the same thing. I'm a little nervous to make suggestions for aviation applications.
Doug Hanson
Predsident
Hanson Hydraulics Ltd.
Doug Hanson

Postby telecom » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:18 pm

Thank you for your reply, but I wasn't able to find any schematics.
To me it looks very much like a hydraulic motor where steering wheel is attached to the shaft.
I'm thinking of putting in the curcuit something like spring loaded DIY acumulator to compensate for termal
expansion/contraction.
The whole subject is purely hypotetical and not going to be used in actual aircraft.
Alex
telecom

Postby Doug Hanson » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:40 pm

Doug Hanson
Predsident
Hanson Hydraulics Ltd.
Doug Hanson

Postby telecom » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:51 pm

Thank you!
I red it.
What I'm thinking of, rather then to put a relief valve, to install a DIY spring-loaded accumulator,
aka a cyliner with several compression springs, to create some pressure in a system.
This will work as an oil tank as well.
Drawback is, that working pressure will be limited to the pressure created within this DIY device,
probably around 200 psi.
Is this something new or its already in use?
Thank you very much for your kind help.
Alex
telecom

Postby Doug Hanson » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Spring loaded accumulators do exist, there not super common. You still need a pump to charge up your accumulator, and now have to have a uni directional pump, as opposed to the helm control which is a biderectional pump. So in using a uni-directional pump, you now need to add a control valve.

You could stay with the bi-directional helm control system and use a sealed reservoir that has an expansion chamber (kind of like a rubber belows.) There is a company that build expansion chambers for reservoirs but I can't remember who.
Doug Hanson
Predsident
Hanson Hydraulics Ltd.
Doug Hanson

Postby telecom » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:05 pm

Doug,
I could create pressure in a system manually, when I tighten up compression springs of the accumulator,
that was my idea anyway.
"You could stay with the bi-directional helm control system and use a sealed reservoir that has an expansion chamber (kind of like a rubber belows.) There is a company that build expansion chambers for reservoirs but I can't remember who."
This is exactly what is needed.
Thank you again.
Alex
telecom

Postby Doug Hanson » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:48 pm

I might not be understanding what your trying to do here. You can store an amount of initial energy in the accumulator, but as this potential energy is consumed, what is restoring more energy. You only have a given amount of fluid available (differential volume of the accumulator) and the force available to the actuator will decrease as the oil is consumed in the system. Where is your return oil going?
Doug Hanson
Predsident
Hanson Hydraulics Ltd.
Doug Hanson

Return to System Design and Troubleshooting