[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Hanson Hydraulics - Hydraulic Forum • View topic - Pattern Changer Valve

Pattern Changer Valve

Post all of your questions and comments about designing new systems or applications, or troubleshooting existing applications.

Moderator: Doug Hanson

Forum rules
No Flaming! Please maintain professionalism
No Log splitter questions !!!

Pattern Changer Valve

Postby Doug Hanson » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:20 pm

I have recently ordered an 8 way pattern changer valve from Holmbury USA (OCUKAC2318). Used for switching the control pattern on excavators from John Deere to Cat. It used to be Integrated Technologies (OCUKAC2226). The catalog info looks pretty good, when it shows up I'll write a little review of it. I havn't used one of these particular valves, usually I use 2 D03 (NG6) solonoid valves.

Has anyone used one of these valves before? Feedback ?
Doug Hanson
Predsident
Hanson Hydraulics Ltd.
Doug Hanson

Re: Pattern Changer Valve

Postby Doug Hanson » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:25 pm

I've just installed the pattern changer valve so here is a little review of the valve, Please check the blog version for pictures of the valve, installation and spool modifications done.

http://hansonhydraulics.com/wordpress/a ... y-inc.html

Holmbury’s OCUKAC2318 is a high quality pattern changing valve with a steel body and hardened spool for pilot applications, such as switching between John Deere and Cat control patterns on excavators.

Pattern Changer ValveI recently installed one of these valves on a Caterpillar 321B excavator. Right out of the box, its ready to go. On this installation however, I decided to modify the spool and make a spool extension, so the handle would come up through the 1/2″ floor plate. This allowed utilizing all of the existing pilot lines without modification, and the addition of four 3′ pilot lines.

Extending the spool length and mounting the handle on the extended side allowed for flush mounting the valve on the underside of the floor plate. To modify the spool, a hole was drilled and tapped into the spool end(it’s a little tricky as it is a hardened spool), then an extension was machined to thread in. The extension was loctited in and cross drilled parallel to the original handle hole on the other end.This put the handle at one end of the spool, while leaving the limiting stops at the other end.

Check out the pictures below. This valve is very compact and perfect for pattern changing applications. I would definitely use it again. Check out Holmbury Inc. http://www.holmburyusa.com/
Doug Hanson
Predsident
Hanson Hydraulics Ltd.
Doug Hanson

Postby hystat » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:07 pm

Interesting write-up. Thanks.
excavator ordered without a pattern changer.... silly attempt at cost savings at purchase

Trying to remember what machine had such a bizarre pattern that one 8-way valve would not convert it to Cat (SAE) pattern... maybe a Link Belt?
I was scratching my head that day - had to use two valves to do it...

And in this day and age, clear decal signage a must when installing any kind of pattern mod..
c.y.a.
hystat

Postby Doug Hanson » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:31 am

I've heard of some import excavators coming arranged with a pattern that had the swing on the left - forward/back, like an old yarder.

I like the Cat (SAE) patter myself.
Doug Hanson
Predsident
Hanson Hydraulics Ltd.
Doug Hanson

Return to System Design and Troubleshooting